Saturday, February 27, 2010

Spicy Guac with Chile Pequin's!


Last weekend my mom and I got to spend some quality time bonding. It was nice and one of the things that we both enjoy is not only being creative but cooking and baking. We kind of went on a roll and made a bunch of different things. We made the Sunshine Sponge Cake, some fresh guacamole, fresh and homemade chips, Asian stir-fry, homemade french fries, homemade potato chips, and chicken stew with cheese dumplings. We were definitely on a roll that is for sure.

Yet, there is just something about cooking and adding the ingredients and trying new things and seeing how all the little ingredients that you might think don't matter can all come together and meld and mix and create and amazing dish. I just love to cook because it makes me feel like it is a creative expression and an easy and fun way to show and share love with others. There is just a joy of pulling out some cupcakes from the oven or taking the lid off a pot on the stove and seeing a finished product.

I definitely enjoy utilizing others amazing recipes yet one of my favorite things to do is come up with my own or somehow modify existing recipes to make them unique to me and make them my own.

The guacamole is something that I never measure anything, I just go by taste. I use fresh avocados, fresh limes, basil, cilantro, garlic, salt, tomato, onion, jalapenos, and sometimes a random ingredient to mix it up or change the taste. I also really enjoy spicy foods, so I add cayenne pepper to mine. This time I was able to add a new and different ingredient to it, the chile pequin pepper. My dad has a friend that grows them and uses them to make fresh salsa. My dad was telling him that I really enjoy spicy things, so he gave him some for me to try and use. I had never heard of the pequin pepper before so I did some research on it, and this is what I came up with:

It is a hot chile pepper, that is known as the "bird pepper" because birds like them and often eat them. The pequin is the smallest chile pepper. It is typically 0.3 - 0.6 meters tall, with bright green, ovate leaves and small fruits that rarely exceed 2 cm in length. Like most chiles, they start out green, ripening to brilliant red at maturity. You can eat the pequin right off the vine. Yet, they are often dried and used for spice and to add to salsas, sauces, and soups. The pequin peppers are very hot. Some people say they are often 7-8 times hotter than jalapeƱos and on the Scoville scale they rate at 30,000-60,000 units. Their flavor is often described as citrusy, smoky, and nutty.You can find pequin peppers in Cholula hot sauce.

Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about these little tiny peppers! Yet, they added an interesting unique ingredient to the guacamole that made it spicy and totally delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the pequins, I will let Max know you liked them!

    ReplyDelete