Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Jelly Rolling

The other part of the Baking bonanza from this weekend were the Jelly Rolls. My mom didn't think that they turned out very good so unfortunately she ended up going with a store bought cheesecake because she is all about the presentation. I on the other hand didn't think they looked bad and I also thought they tasted really good. The lemon one had a very strong and distinct lemon flavor and there was nothing bland about that. It was light and fluffy because my mom had taken the original recipe's filly and mixed it with whip cream. Without the whip cream it would have had an even stronger lemon flavor and I don't think the texture would have been as pleasing. It made it much more light and airy in your mouth. It would be a great dessert to make in the summer time for lounging around by the pool or for a picnic.


The chocolate jelly roll we made with a cinnamon whip cream filling. Although the chocolate flavor was not very distinct I still think that it turned out good. I don't understand why the recipe only calls for cocoa powder because although it is cocoa it doesn't have a very strong flavor. Next time I think I would use some baking chocolate to give it more of a flavorful experience. The cinnamon whipped cream filling was yummy. It was also very light and fluffy and was not rich at all. The cinnamon flavor was unique and distinct because we used Saigon cinnamon which has a much stronger and bolder cinnamon flavor. Although, I think next time we make it I would use just a little more cinnamon to make the flavor even stronger.

  
 


The problem with both of them were that they turned out sort of dry so they cracked and did not form a very good "roll". They also stuck to the towel when my mom tried to unroll them. I don't know why because she had enough powered sugar on the towel. Also, I don't know why they both cracked. One of my favorite Thanksgiving desserts is a Pumpkin Roll and that always works out perfect every time. We decided it was because of the pumpkin that gives it added moisture to stay together and stay rolled. So next time we make another jelly roll we are going to make sure and add an ingredient that adds a lot of moisture.



Both of these desserts were very light and not very rich at all. Which is definitely not my favorite thing because I would love to eat a double chocolate fudge cake with chocolate chips and chocolate frosting sprinkled with chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings!  My mom choose the lemon over the chocolate because she didn't think the chocolate one had enough flavor while the lemon one was very flavorful. Yet, I would give them both a thumbs up and would definitely make them and eat them again.

 They obviously couldn't have been too bad because as you can see this chocolate one is already half gone!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get any of teh lemon or chocolate rolls. what's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did too have some of the chocolate! Before you left for home team!

    ReplyDelete